Reports to: General Manager
Over Time: Exempt
Summary of Position:
Directly responsible for all kitchen functions including food purchasing, inventories, preparation and maintenance of quality standards; sanitation and cleanliness; training of employees in methods of cooking, preparation, plate presentation, portion and cost control and sanitation and cleanliness.
Be committed to learning and improving through reading & working with other company members. Continuous education and self-development will be of highest priorities along with a commitment to coaching and developing entire staff.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Ensure that all food and products are consistently prepared and served according to the restaurant’s recipes, portioning, cooking and serving standards.
- Make employment and termination decisions including interviewing, hiring, evaluating and disciplining kitchen personnel as appropriate.
- Provide orientation of company and department rules, policies and procedures and oversee training of new kitchen employees.
- Continuously strive to develop staff in all areas of managerial and professional development.
- Fill in where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations.
- Prepare all required paperwork, including forms, reports and schedules in an organized and timely manner.
- Ensure that all equipment is kept clean and kept in excellent working condition through personal inspection and by following the restaurant’s preventative maintenance programs.
- Work with all restaurant managers to plan and price menu items. Establish portion sizes and prepare standard recipe cards for all new menu items.
- Ensure that all products are ordered according to predetermined product specifications and received in correct unit count and condition and deliveries are performed in accordance with the restaurant’s receiving policies and procedures.
- Control food cost and usage by following proper requisition of products from storage areas, product storage procedures, standard recipes and waste control procedures.
- Oversee and ensure that restaurant policies on employee performance appraisals are followed and completed on a timely basis.
- Schedule labor as required by anticipated business activity while ensuring that all positions are staffed when and as needed and labor cost objectives are met.
- Be knowledgeable of restaurant policies regarding personnel and administer prompt, fair and consistent corrective action for any and all violations of company policies, rules and procedures.
- Oversee the training of kitchen personnel in safe operation of all kitchen equipment and utensils.
- Responsible for training kitchen personnel in cleanliness and sanitation practices.
- Responsible for maintaining appropriate cleaning schedules for kitchen floors, mats, walls, grills, hoods, other equipment and food storage areas.
- Check and maintain proper food holding and refrigeration temperature control points.
- Provide safety training in first aid, CPR, lifting and carrying objects and handling hazardous materials.
- Responsible for restaurant inventories including food, accessories, equipment & tool inventories and must constantly manage & maintain documented detailed status in all areas including on hand quantities, costs and quality levels.
- Ensure product is always on hand on a needed basis through systematic ordering and forecasting
- Fully understand and comply with all federal, state, county and municipal regulations that pertain to health, safety and labor requirements of the restaurant, employees and guests.
- Cooperate with all corporate departmental needs and work alongside support departments to improve all aspects of the business.
- Respond to any and all corrective action requests from Executive Chef Partner or General Manager in a timely manner.
- Ensure all kitchen team members have necessary tools to perform daily duties.
- Participate in company policy and standards development as needed.
- Prepare budgets as required by corporate in an effort to meet budget projections.
- Be a role model and a teacher.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in varied kitchen positions including food preparation, line cook, fry cook and expediter.
- At least 6 months experience in a similar capacity.
- Must be able to communicate clearly with managers, kitchen and dining room personnel and guests.
- Be able to communicate and understand in both English and Spanish.
- Be able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 50 pounds.
- Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 9 hours).
- Possess excellent basic math and Windows Office skills and have the ability to operate a POS system. Previous experience with Restaurant Manager POS is a plus.
- Must have the stamina to work 50 to 60 hours per week.
- Proactively handle all staff and guest requests or concerns quickly with caring and fairness.
- Demonstrate a leadership style that creates a positive working environment and remains calm during stressful and emotional situations.
- Be organized in all areas e.g., storage areas, side work and scheduling needs.
- Be able to work lunch and dinner shifts on weekdays & weekends
The employer is an equal employment opportunity employer. It is the policy of the employer to afford equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. All employment decisions are based on the principle of equal employment opportunity.